Saturday, June 07, 2008

John Horgan pwnts the Singularitans

Posted by A. at 11:54 AM
Via Andrew Sullivan, a great quote:

"Let's face it. The singularity is a religious rather than a scientific vision. The science-fiction writer Ken MacLeod has dubbed it “the rapture for nerds,” an allusion to the end-time, when Jesus whisks the faithful to heaven and leaves us sinners behind.

Such yearning for transcendence, whether spiritual or technological, is all too understandable. Both as individuals and as a species, we face deadly serious problems, including terrorism, nuclear proliferation, overpopulation, poverty, famine, environmental degradation, climate change, resource depletion, and AIDS. Engineers and scientists should be helping us face the world's problems and find solutions to them, rather than indulging in escapist, pseudoscientific fantasies like the singularity."



Read more...

6 Comments:

Anonymous BUY WOW GOLD said...

WOW GOLD, nice blog. its worth reading. I liked it very much

9/08/2009 01:55:00 AM  
Anonymous nike shox shoes said...

I’m playing with my pen in my mouth as I read this article, hehe. I guess i’m really perplexed in the topic at hand. Kudos to you for making me forget about my plans!

10/08/2010 01:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Nike shox clearance said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.Any way Ill be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

10/17/2010 07:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Nike shox said...

I also have registered a blog. But I am busy so not update frequently. In addition my writing is bad. After a long time I get used to read other's blogs. In factis it is a pleasure to read other people's blog. Imagine the lives of others and feeling my own lives. Sometimes, I am grateful to those bloggers who always willing to share their lives and experiences with other people. Hope you happy every day the same.

10/21/2010 12:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Tiffany Jewelry said...

This is a great post,which has a lot of readers.
Such kind of post giving us various knowaledge,it worthy to read.It is so wonderful.

11/17/2010 01:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Asics shoes said...

I would like to be the supporter of yours.Thank you for sharing!I think these are very valuable information.

12/30/2010 11:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home