Saturday, July 02, 2005

Ian McDonald "The Little Goddess"

Posted by frankh at 11:58 PM
I read this from the fictionwise ebook of the June 2005 Asimov's, as promised earlier.

It almost loses for me with several cliches at work (juvenile heroine, India through Western Eyes, warmed over cyberpunk). What made me like it in the end (and I would also call is mundane sf) was that the use of "alien" jargon was so over the top compared to the norm I've experienced (for South Asian fiction for an English-speaking market) that I was in shock. Also I liked that the future USA was a minor villian in a story published in a US market. An interesting novella that I hope can find a place in the Best Of market next year.

This is another story that depends on major AI breakthroughs that I don't think are on the way. Compared to the sorts of crap that Mundane SF is railing against (and which I oppose as a reader mainly on the grounds that they are incredibly tired in 2005 coming from any but the most talented writers) this kind of speculation is still somewhat fresh.

However.

If indeed River of Gods uses some sort of time reversal in this same future setting, and it's all based on some sort of AI singularity mumbo jumbo, well then for me that's an unfortunate waste of an interesting world.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

m

11/29/2005 12:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning ##NAME##, I find reading blog articles like ##TITLE## most rewarding at times. It enhances the experiences of life in many cases.

Being a physician, amongst other things I often have a soft spot for blogs related to ##LINK## and /or sites that are built around writing program type items.

Once again, thank you ##NAME##, and I will look for your posts again in the future. :-)

12/08/2005 03:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning ##NAME##, I find reading blog articles like ##TITLE## most rewarding at times. It enhances the experiences of life in many cases.

Being a physician, amongst other things I often have a soft spot for blogs related to ##LINK## and /or sites that are built around ebook generators type items.

Once again, thank you ##NAME##, and I will look for your posts again in the future. :-)

12/08/2005 06:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gooday ##NAME##, I was surfing around and came accross your post on ##TITLE## quite by accident. Although it is slightly related to what I was searching for it somehow ads to ones list of lifes experiences.

I sometimes have a soft spot for blogs related to ##LINK## and /or sites that have a central theme around tutorial writing type items.

Once again ##NAME##, thank you for your post. :-)

12/08/2005 06:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

##ebook compiler##

12/18/2005 12:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

##ebook compiler##

1/13/2006 02:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home